- What is a stencil?
A stencil is any thin material with a design cut through it. It is used to copy that design over any surface by the application of paint through the holes. Our reusable stencils are made of 10 mil thickness mylar sheets which means they are durable, flexible but not flimsy and washable.
- What is the difference between vinyl and reusable stencils?
Vinyl stencils can only be used once whereas reusable stencils can be washed and reused several times. The vinyl stencils are suitable for crafting on smooth surfaces such as mirrors, glass, ceramics, etc. We do not recommend using them on walls because they have adhesive backing that could pull off the paint .
- Why doesn't my calligraphy stencil look like authentic Arabic calligraphy?
We add bridges to our calligraphy stencils to hold their shape otherwise all the floating elements in the design will fall off. You can paint over these bridges with a very thin paint brush after stenciling for a more authentic Arabic calligraphy look.
4. How do I avoid paint bleed when I stencil?
Paint bleed happens when paint seeps under the stencil resulting in not so sharp lines. While paint bleed can occur even with the most skilled artist, we have the following tips to reduce it.
- Before using our reusable stencils, apply a thin layer of stencil spray adhesive (we like stencil ease repositionable stencil adhesive spray) along with masking tape to secure the stencil in place. After spraying the adhesive, let it dry before attaching the stencil to the surface you’re stenciling. The key is to close any gaps between the stencil and the surface to avoid paint bleed.
- Do not use too much paint! Always offload your brush or roller onto a paper towel to remove excess paint. Work in layers to achieve darker colors and most importantly…be patient. You’re creating art after all!
- Use a soft dabbing motion to apply the paint. You may need to hold down the edges of the design while stenciling to ensure sharp lines. Always work your way away from the edges towards the middle.
- Use good quality stencil brushes and foam rollers that do not absorb too much paint.
5. What type of paint should I use for stenciling?
We use Acrylic paint like FolkArt with all our stencil projects but you can also use latex paints.6. Can I use spray paint with your reusable stencils?
We do not recommend using spray paint because it’s hard to control and therefore, you may get paint bleed under the stencil.7. How do I clean my reusable stencil?
We recommend that you clean your stencil after each use to prevent paint build up. Lay your stencil on a flat surface such as a cookie sheet and gently scrub it under runner water. Let dry then store flat.8. Do you ship internationally?
Yes we ship our stencils worldwide. We use United States Postal Service to ship our stencils. For first class packages, shipping takes 7-21 business days. For priority mail packages, shipping is usually 6-10 days. Kindly note, you may need to pay your country a customs fee. This is an extra fee that is not included in the shipping charges and is not in our control.9. What are decals?
Decals are cut from vinyl that has a sticky backing. They are similar to stickers but without the background so they look like they are painted on. We carry two types of decals, removable and permanent.
10. I want to create artwork but I’m not sure if I need a stencil or a decal?
If you like to be creative and are not afraid of using paint, then a reusable stencil is recommended. Due to the endless paint types and colors available in the market, you can customize your own colors for your artwork.
However, if you like to be creative but don’t like the mess (or hassle) that comes with using paint, then we recommend creating your artwork by using our craft decals. They come in specific colors and are very easy to apply
11. Do you accept custom orders?
Yes we do. There are two options to choose from
If you provide us with an image of a calligraphy quote, we will set it up to create a design that is stencil friendly (usually takes 2-3 days). Please provide a royalty free image that is in VECTOR format (black calligraphy against a white background is best). Please note that a non-refundable deposit is required to start your custom design. This amount is based on the work required to set up your image into a stencil. Contact us for a quote.
If you’d like a specific quote in a specific calligraphy style (see here), we are happy to oblige. Contact us with all the details about your idea so we can get started! Rest assured that we would keep in touch throughout the design process (usually takes 2-3 weeks) so you end up with a stencil that you are happy with.
The following steps explain this process:
- A non-refundable deposit fee is required to start your custom design. This amount depends on the complexity of the design (the number of words and calligraphy style).
- We offer 2 free revisions so you may provide us with feedback to tweak the design. There will be $10 charge for every revision over that.
- After you approve the design, we can then start setting it up to cut as a stencil. Please note that the calligraphy will be slightly modified to make it stencil friendly. It will not change the overall appearance of the calligraphy design.
- Once the design is ready we will send you an invoice to purchase the stencil sheet. After you place your order, we will cut the stencil and ship it priority mail. If you live in the U.S, this usually takes 2-3 days depending on your location. If you are an international customer, please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.
If you have any questions that were not mentioned here, please don't hesitate to contact us.